Thursday, July 8, 2010

Clarifications

Features Added (uh, I should change this to things done because these aren't really features):
  • fixed infobox display issues (for instance, if the X,Y tracker showed 5,10 and then 5,9, it'd show 5,90 because it doesn't write over the 0)
  • separated drawing from game loop and added delay for game loop (so game loop can be slept so it doesn't run through 500 turns in 2 seconds)
  • cleaned up code a little for personal ease
  • doors - as walls right now, thinking about how to implement as items
Thought about how to implement multiple items one tile and faction orders (easy), menus (still not completely clear), and real pathing (reverse distance gradients?).

It seems like my last post interested some people at SA and even GC. My post (edited for those who don't read the SA DF thread) is below:
With regards to ikanreed's comment [the quote in the last post about managing a project well], I just wanted to show that I understood what he meant last night by actually experiencing it to some small degree. As a novice programmer, I had (still have) no to little understanding of how to manage a project correctly/efficiently. If anything, I wanted to show my appreciation of his comment so I can be encouraged to do things well.

To genericcontainer (or Aryoc here [on SA]), thanks for your words of encouragement. The gist of my "negativity" (uh maybe my ambivalence might be a better way to put it), is that I really hope the final things I want to do don't "get scooped" by you and the other people that will inevitably work on GC when it comes out. I do realize that my ideas (will post in a few minutes) aren't anything really special, but I guess everyone who works on making something feels this way. My project is half for my own learning and half for making my own version of a fortresslike; the learning part is great, but the making my own part is...worried? Anyways, I definitely look forward to playing GC and what comes out of it.

To everyone else, I'm not frustrated or angry or whatever. I just wanted to share some of my thoughts, and I'm still working on my thing at more-or-less the same rate I was before. I'm a non-cs student doing student things, so yea, progress isn't going to be as good as with toady working fulltime on DF and Aryoc (who I definitely know has more background than me) working on GC. My original post was just to encourage others to work on their own fortress-like. I definitely feel like Aryoc with GC, Vox with this Arena idea [check it out in the DF thread!], (and even Toady with his suspiciously (I kid, I kid) focused updates and new cool ideas) are definitely showing that the DF is getting some fresh air/being revitalized or something.
Anyways, so I can get this out as kind of a declaration of intent, my next post is going to be what I envision my fortress-like (I'm going to wait until I get it playable to get my name out, so let's call it FL for now) to be capable of.

No comments:

Post a Comment