Saturday, July 23, 2011

About the month-long pause, got bored/busy with real life:

So, got lazy and implemented perlin noise from:

resulting in this decent looking map generation:


Some issues I need to think about:
  • my fillermoving (not true A* apparently) pathfinding still isn't robust enough, probably I need to really implement A*
  • how large the map needs to be: current 200x200 map with about 10,000 rock walls is a little laggy, but not too bad. I shudder to think what a 1000x1000 map with multiple AI and dwarves would play like though.
  • what the map actually represents. Is it 1 dwarf per dwarf tile? If so, this map gen varies a little too hard and needs to be stretched
  • actually learning the perlinNoise stuff implemented all the way through: I know enough of the basics but I'd like know it well enough to be able to tune it completely to my preferences/code it from scratch
things I need to start doing:
  • adding combat
  • adding more items (just rocks and grass right now)
  • adding more craftables/buildings (just doors right now)
I feel somewhat satisfied with the mapgen and the fact that I still come back to this and not be lost looking through my code. I'll probably be working on this a lot harder after this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment